A Travellerspoint blog


Japan - Hiroshima and Okinawa

sunny 28 °C

We arrived in Hiroshima (HiROshima!) at around 7am and following their instructions, made our way to our hostel.
K’s House has many hostels throughout Japan and just like Kyoto, we thought the Hiroshima branch was just as good. Comfy beds with great storage space, kitchen, common area and laundry room, plus it’s only a 5 minute walk from the train station.

We decided to go straight out to the Atomic Bomb Dime and Peace Memorial Park with our sightseeing bus passes I ordered with our overnight bus tickets.
We walked around the whole park admiring how well and how beautifully the people of Hiroshima had preserved the past destruction of the town whilst creating a beautiful community area. Of course, the physical damage, aside from the A Bomb Dome, has been gone for many decades now, but there is something about the whole place that still stings of an attack long passed.

CB1F1F1CA549CF149067F84537D17C0E.jpg CB21F135B8CD3427A9A470A5E2F08808.jpg
CB247DA10F69A190278C8DF996B6F808.jpg CB276AB8C451598D665256821263BA08.jpg
CB2971AF04BB79C0033E3642A6E6346E.jpg 270_CB2B4E9AF2BFC78A15FABCB21D0F03F7.jpg
CB2DCF0502DDF4DE0C7086A8CDE2C68C.jpg CB305E9EBBC5AED370B77FB27BB90B20.jpg
CB333206BAD55E243A9F4B2C19A2E7A0.jpg 270_CB3502A19DEAD8E9A2E7AC013ECF47E5.jpg
DSC_0542.jpg 270_CB4387A6C13A0D0A0892C9279059327B.jpg
DSC_0544.jpg 270_CB46229DD7E0B06916F4B7323F25E845.jpg
CB4797ABA643131F99944D9E46A8D523.jpg 270_CB4927A6BF4B60B364F9B2CCF41D5467.jpg
CB4AAB289F1A140593B8F355D18F7396.jpg CB4DB280F63561F14A513EBE27B10D8B.jpg
270_DSC_0552.jpg DSC_0554.jpg
CB54F2B3EB053A31698F72E09DF83CEA.jpg CB616AD4049AD9860A09E0291BD8C830.jpg
CB62EB97B719FF99339A6FD9305DC807.jpg DSC_0559.jpg
270_DSC_0561.jpg 270_DSC_0562.jpg
CB681944C17C4B9EB2F925611EA8D375.jpg CB703524A7ABCE8D1FA38BF8C2581054.jpg
CB72033EEE3BDD7D7EFB699DE01324C5.jpg 270_CB745133E051949AC62A03EA58B3D379.jpg
CB765ED506DEB948DE7C72783849F5AD.jpg 270_CB77D367F17EFE1AB50CF0D136CC5295.jpg
CB79EE45BD7F069F095328CE03DC0473.jpg CB7BDFF4A0479B7053882082788789D3.jpg
270_CB7D98799ADE673E35174C30030093EE.jpg DSC_0574.jpg

We went back to the hostel for a nap I so desperately needed before getting dressed and heading out to the restaurants and bars area for dinner.
We went to Kanak Indian Restaurant for a delicious meal that Ricky was salivating at the very thought of before going to Mambas, a Latin Salsa Bar.
We watched Japanese Salsa dancers for as long as we could before going downstairs to Barcos or some foo music and incredibly entertaining Japanese youths!


We checked out the following morning, but left our luggage at the hostel and got the JR Local Train to Miyajima and then a ferry to the island where a whole horde of deer were freely roaming around, trying to eat people’s jackets!

20150221_133612.jpg 20150221_134908.jpg
20150221_134916.jpg 20150221_163358.jpg
1424489742300__1_.jpg 1424493335328_.jpg
1424493691427.jpg 1424499784911_.jpg
1424499797475_.jpg DSC_0577.jpg
CB8B0A77BDE1134B1960493B47ABA5EE.jpg CB8D82EDF7E686DF9855100FD6AF3487.jpg
DSC_0579.jpg CB8FFE4EF2AD6834C8E6D0FD32F2F7E2.jpg
CB91E4CE00B67B30E5D02962E8EDF467.jpg 270_DSC_0582.jpg
270_CB94AEE0FA823FE0DA8522FBE4E87C41.jpg DSC_0584.jpg
CB984030A72C23A62E7B8182249B8803.jpg 270_DSC_0586.jpg
CBA707C7925964ADF10360F09D8EDC14.jpg DSC_0592.jpg
CBAA0918CDD4BE56FCAB32D1C8BF2C5A.jpg 270_CBAC3A45EF5F5913DF8A29913679E0F7.jpg
CBAD7D35F93973EB6B1AB58188873737.jpg CBAEDA15A7193E182B658E1628E90566.jpg
CBB04E03FA6E97F62DF3F04C3EBB7C7C.jpg CBB2A02BC0C5387CE6B9AD1EEE5811E9.jpg
270_CBB475000ACA35D37E06CC26DF7AD58E.jpg DSC_0601.jpg
CBB78397F5D969FBB9E4529BD5B02848.jpg 270_CBB9B142A73D37A9929F3D8479300529.jpg
CBC5B6ADF3735A6B17AC1D0DFF070581.jpg DSC_0605.jpg
270_CBCA49469BE9F1B1E27DAB83CC5C303A.jpg CBCC6233DC04402959D9025F30514204.jpg
270_CBCE1715F72F208D5497E37A6F50F39F.jpg DSC_0609.jpg
270_CBD4BC33C19EE1A021642F7577B1724F.jpg 270_DSC_0611.jpg
270_CBD95780D24CCAF5BBDCF3C77EE8331A.jpg CBDBCB43DF53D7A20B9AACC6BF446BAD.jpg
CBDD9BA5E30675FC3887FA851C86BF7A.jpg 270_CBDFEFF9C5BA0CA4763C0D9454E06D22.jpg

After walking around the island, enjoying the sights, we took the ropeway to the top of the mountain where I only wished the sky had been clear, but even so, the views were truly spectacular.

CBE9E8FBC848BBB151B963C20D11CCF3.jpg CBEAE2A7BAE057D0A50D55E445903401.jpg
CBEE20E891F0DF48422EED675BE6BCF1.jpg CBF096D20EC071F1F3A78AC103FD837A.jpg
CBF2951CC1C00A477396F68807B47C4F.jpg DSC_0624.jpg
CBF483D6B7CEC69336DDBE343683E4DF.jpg CBF57FA19FE1EB67639096FAD01141F4.jpg
CBF6AA320F94AA4D666291AB3AC398BF.jpg CBF89797D7E20E400C72FBFF5316AA04.jpg
CC0BF8FAC52889BCCB5421BABA11039F.jpg CC13970EB604AF8D35210267F85102F8.jpg
DSC_0631.jpg CC1E0FBDF011A15A3CC395665D4CBB38.jpg
CC1F23FB09D3FA40B1A9EF816685E114.jpg CC202BCCC8EDDD029AB7C919CDEACEA8.jpg
CC20FB159D395DCC68B84ED1BF3F983C.jpg CC21F700F62DDCDC9525BB161DFE4EFC.jpg
CC243044DD4673951DAC10B816B1CE0B.jpg CC266AA9A7693032D787D7F3DA7A8014.jpg
CC28668BCEBC7A8D9DD1019A7765CE53.jpg CC32FD0E088C9D1A1CF9A51802953BA5.jpg
CC348388A9264ED379B91A89B8EB1DB8.jpg CC36AFD5DD569F364A89137F66D9B640.jpg
CC3819FEEA4C951D360F6CC4A68F43E6.jpg CC396A9BC566A1D8BFF01842479D86B0.jpg

Ricky returned from his solo adventure to the summit as I knew I wouldn’t make it in time to get the last trip ropeway carriage back down the mountain and walked back to the pier to get the boat back to the mainland.

We took the train back to Hiroshima Station and went back to the hostel to eat a quick dinner before walking back near the station to get the overnight bus back to Tokyo. Luckily, it was similar bus to the first one we’d taken so it as more comfortable!

12 hours and several bathroom breaks later, we arrived at Shinjuku station in Tokyo, got the metro to Asakusa and left our stuff at the hostel we stayed at before.
We booked our Mt. Fuji bus tickets with them then made our way to Harajuku for more shopping….!

I met up with an old friend from China who had moved to Tokyo over a year ago and then we went to find Ricky who I’d left in one of his newly acquired stores, then we went to get a drink before walking to Shibuya to find another shop Ricky wanted to go to.
This store was in Shibuya 109 shopping heaven, specifically, the men’s shopping centre where Japanese fashion knows no bounds!
After spending an inordinate amount of money on clothes, we went back to the hostel and my friend went home. We organised our stuff, charged our various electronic devices and then went to the metro to get the long ass train to Narita airport!

We arrived at Narita around 21:15 and were desperate for some food, only to discover that the food court closed at 9pm! Boo!
We found a comfy set of chairs near our check in desk and made our nest for the night, as our flight didn’t leave until 6:15am. Thank god for airport wifi! And books!

I woke up around 4:30am, brushed my teeth and made myself semi-presentable and then woke up Ricky so we could check in for our flight with the other large mass of passengers!

We went for a quick smoke before going through security where once again, I should have had at least a drink bought for me given the touching-up I experienced from airport security! I either looked like a criminal or a think person trying to smuggle stuff in a fat person suit!

Our flight didn’t leave until 7m but Ricky was asleep the moment he sat down – I followed suit shortly after take-off and didn’t really wake up until half an hour or so before we landed. Unfortunately for us, rain had followed us from Tokyo and Okinawa greeted us with swelling clouds.
We remained undeterred however as we watched the US Marines collecting their luggage… silver linings!

~ Okinawa ~

We got the monorail from the airport to Miebashi and found our hostel to be told that check in was at 3pm and we couldn’t sit in the common area until we’d checked in. So no sooner had we arrived, we were turfed out again without so much as a map or suggestion of where to pass 5 hours!

We wandered around in search of food, finding a little café somewhere, ate, found a bathroom elsewhere as they didn’t have one and the walked by the pier for a little while.

Disheartened at only having used an hour and a half of our waiting time we decided to embrace the gambling culture of Japan and went into a Pachinko (gambling, slot machines etc).
Thanks to the lovely woman who worked there and her helping me to understand the games, I paid 1000 yen and came out with 6000 yen! Yay! Pachinkos! ^_^

We walked past the hostel in the opposite direction and discovered a whole host of stores and restaurants, even a Starbucks and were more than slightly annoyed to not have been directed this way in the first place!
We looked around the multi-story tax free shop before heading back to the hostel to check in and shower before napping for a few hours and heading back out for dinner.

We decided to go to Sam’s Maui, which although expensive, turned out to be great food, cooked in front of us and being provided with lovely sailor hats by the jovial owner! Very nice indeed!

20150223_202144.jpg20150223_202125.jpg20150223_201806.jpg 1424689729086_1_.jpg

We went to Starbucks to steal their wifi so Ricky could continue chatting to the homosexual marines via Grindr before heading back to the hostel to look at a map of the area.
The hostel wifi was pants so we couldn’t really find a lot of information and all of the hostel maps were in Japanese – not the greatest hostel…
They closed the common room at midnight so I went to bed and Ricky went to a bar as he doesn’t go to bed usually until at least 2am.

The next day I woke up late, Ricky was still asleep so I left him to it!
It wasn’t until around 12:30pm when I messaged Ricky to see if he was up that I discovered we’d both been awake the whole time – this is the problem with staying in separate dorms!

We went back to Kokusai Street with all the shops and restaurants and found the only place open and relatively cheap (1500 yen) was an “Italian” buffet. To be fair, it was filling and not that bad in regards of taste but not really Italian and not Japanese – for some reason, people in Okinawa, and in fact, most of Japan, don’t seem to eat between 12 and 5pm…!

Ricky had drunk 3 coffees so was wired, but my caffeine-free body required a nap so he did his own thing whilst I grabbed 40 winks!

We went out around 8:30pm for dinner and to hunt down the gay bars which we found, eventually, and were, having spent 2 weeks in Japan already, not surprised by the tiny bars we found.

We first went to the Banana Café, which we found purely by chance, despite looking for it, because I spotted a small sign with a banana on it, to which I shouted, “I FOUND A BANANA!”

We had a drink and enjoyed some mash-ups of current musical hits, all the while looking at the videos asking “who are these people?” as we’re a bit out of the loop in China with peoples’ faces. More often than not, we know the songs, but can’t put a face to the singer!

We went to DQ after that, run by an effeminate, petite Japanese man, who informed me that my name means flower in Japanese! ^_^
I went home around midnight and left Ricky to his hunt for boys and made my back to the hostel.

The following morning, I got up at 8am for a shower and to organise my luggage, realising around 8:45am that Ricky was nowhere to be seen… I went to his room to find him fast asleep so I had to rather violently shake him to wake up as we had to leave at 9am!

He eventually resurrected and came downstairs, suitcases banging out a discord down the stairs as he went, we checked out and then walked round the corner to the ferry port.

We bought our tickets to Zamami (2,120 yen one way), had a cigarette, then climbed aboard where Ricky promptly found a spot on the floor and went back to sleep.

I went out on the deck to enjoy the open water and the sun just in time to see a whale shoot water into the air in the distance!

Just over 2 hours after leaving Okinawa, we arrived at Zamami Island and it was beautiful!

~ Zamami Island~

I gently woke Ricky up and we got off the ferry.

img_0925.jpg img_0928.jpg
img_0929.jpg img_0931.jpg
img_0932.jpg img_0933.jpg
img_0935.jpg img_0936.jpg

I had the address of where we were staying, but no idea how to get there. Now, I know the island was small but…! I asked at the information office by the ferry if they could tell me how to get to our accommodation; the guy showed me a map and we were about 50m away…!
The whole village was right in front of us, with its 3 or 4 small restaurants, 2 shops/grocery stores, a few diving and fishing places and that was pretty much it!
A dirt track on the street was a road on the map so within less than 3 minutes, we arrived at our home for 3 days and checked in!

The owner was great, amazing English, super helpful, he talked us through the map and told us what was good, where to go etc. We were staying in a traditional style room which was empty when we walked in, apart from a small square table and 2 legless chairs.
Our “beds” were in the cupboard – a roll out futon, no thicker than a cushion, a pillow and a duvet.


Japanese island life!
The owner knew we were western and luckily for me, he’d put extra futons in our room in case it was a little too hard to sleep on, which was really considerate of him.

He told us where we could rent bikes from and snorkelling gear, so Ricky and I got changed and I put my bathing suit on under my clothes and off we went to get a bicycle from just round the corner.

I think for a few seconds at least, I forgot how to ride a bike…!
I was so wobbly and kept darting from one side of the road to the other. Eventually, I got the hand of it, just as we started going up a steep hill to get to the beach.
Well I quickly gave up trying to cycle up it as my bike had no gears so I slipped off and pushed it up over the top.
Down was easy and really fun!

We got to the beach in no time at all and headed straight down to the waters’ edge – not the warmest water we’d been in, but definitely not the coldest!
We were soon all ready to go in, mask and snorkel on, flippers tied up tight – in we went!
Ricky had never been snorkelling before and did an amazing job – so proud of him!
We swam around in small increments so he could acclimatise to not being close to the floor, and after a while he was loving it!
I saw a jelly fish, nothing too scary but I didn’t go after it, and lots of other fish swimming in and out of the coral. I particularly enjoyed the tiny, electric blue fish that were dancing around beneath us.

D58CE6A500C6F9A755D54967842B2031.jpg D58DEF5DE7D43C1E902A50CDC46B933A.jpg
D58EF5D0FF826B915C4374D1C7876AEB.jpg D59054189F6BD2D0627863AA6C3248B8.jpg
D59199330F7417953E4AE9855BC48C65.jpg D592E1B5E2C12B3BF336BC7F18C53ABA.jpg
D5941183C809471C388B0FEA0AB1A111.jpg D59549D6DEB4E9F80DE1F555B350817F.jpg
D59600809AD9EE7004618EA5F1E0267B.jpg D59754599E81376AE7E363CBBC73C22E.jpg
D598E873C062DEFF03D2E66439A9BFB8.jpg D5A499F9CD9FE5A7930BBFCE2BA46A05.jpg
D5A6773BA56D17CC827756E2AC19BABE.jpg D5A7D3CEB404554F84B5C48991B6DD9E.jpg
D5A925B5B83B416EAE97C18B8FAA794B.jpg D5AA7CCEED06E6A27C243E5F6160DF82.jpg
D5ABC972B824A2B58A0A05B3DF0C3EF4.jpg D5AD3D3AEE548F1E5919E2D0107EC555.jpg
D5AFD079CE621C73C609ED4EA79A7F9A.jpg D5B1D95D0B5A3F1B68FB9C880AF10A54.jpg
D5B37874C47AFA7B4126AEA757707CA5.jpg D5B48C19CE8CD8DEAD4A28D6248B9C0A.jpg
D5B59BE4A8E143B376ABEA7D8B8C8F43.jpg D5B77D76C16176561C4D5F510AA226BF.jpg
D5B8A8050936A52CE15130DC3B69A231.jpg D5B9E93ACFE5C98EA42D06A62933C52C.jpg
D5BB3D6CD3AAE59A1D022B5B2CAF9B86.jpg D5BC1C120354F2E31DF96731C08FF063.jpg
D5BE2F75DB8EA8C727196C06C012E33E.jpg D5C0942AB8B319B91FF15734A137D2F0.jpg

It was quite late in the day when we eventually went in the sea and Ricky was pretty cold after 45 minutes to an hour, so we decided to call it a day and went back for a nice warm shower!

We cycled to the shop and bought some bread and cheese and juice and put them in our bicycle baskets before reaching the guesthouse, then dropped off the bikes and had a nap before going to one of the only restaurants that did dinner, to eat!

By the time we went for dinner, the island had been plunged into a beautiful darkness, still and silent, like it forgot it was a place with living people on it!
Island life!

The following day we got the bikes and snorkels gain and headed out to a different beach to try to catch a glimpse of sea turtles – the clouds were rolling in and the wind was getting the waves all flustered but I was determined to swim with sea turtles, so we pushed on. Snorkelling on a wavy sea is always interesting, but without the sun to warm it, the water was colder than before. I saw another jellyfish but not much else so headed back to shore. Ricky had said he wouldn’t go in if there were no sea turtles!

I saw some divers a little way up the shore so headed towards them, only for one of the guys to tell me there was a sea turtle there! Yay!
Well, I basically ran across the beach, put everything back on and as in without a second thought!
I powered through the now even bigger waves as they crashed into me until I saw it.

Luckily, Ricky and I had stopped at several diving shops until we’d found an underwater camera so I was even privileged enough to document this elegant creature.
My favourite animal, and somewhat of a spirit guide was gliding through the tumultuous waters effortlessly, not minding in the slightest, mine or anyone else’s presence.

Shortly after that, we felt the rain in the air and know we didn’t have a lot of time. We went back to the guesthouse to get out of our wet things then cycled to a different restaurant for lunch and only then did the heavens open.


My, my, my, what a downpour – no wonder this island is so green!
It only lasted maybe 10 minutes or so but the wind hadn’t died down as we returned the bikes and snorkels and set up shop in our room with cards and hairpins for poker chips and made sandwiches later to tide us over until dinner.
I had an unwarranted nap for an hour or so before we went for dinner in the same restaurant as before, different food choices that time, then came back to our room for poker and reading – very civilised!

The next day I had a shower and did some laundry whilst Ricky went snorkelling to use up the rest of his pictures on his underwater camera. He went off on his own little adventure to a peace memorial at the top of the island and I finished reading the last book I bought with me.
After a quick nap, we went for dinner in the same place, but once again, ate something different.
We made sure everything was packed so we didn’t have to worry about it in the morning and then went to sleep.

The following day, we travelled the 3 minutes walk from the guesthouse to the port to get the fast boat back to Okinawa but had 6 hours to kill.
We went to Starbucks to get some lunch, Pachinkos to win some money, then decided to just go to the airport on the monorail and do nothing for 4 hours.

Our flight was pretty standard and we arrived in Narita Airport, Tokyo around 8:40pm. We went to get our train tickets, knowing we had time to buy them rather than being ushered onto the last train by screaming Japanese workers again. We bought the right ticket but “thanks” to the women “helping” people, we ended up on the Ueno Skyliner and ha to pay again for the privilege!

We finally arrived at the best hostel ever, Khaosan Kabuki and checked in to the fancy private room again.
I love this place and the amazing staff who are super helpful and just lovely to hang out with ^_^

We set our alarms to get up super early for Mt. Fuji but when my alarm went off I checked the live webcams from Lake Kawaguchi, there were so many clouds, you couldn’t even see the bottom of Fuji san, let alone its peak! With this information in mind, I turned off my alarm and went back to sleep! Whoops!
In my defence, everyone told me that visibility is key for Fiji as it gets covered in a blanket of clouds and becomes invisible.

We got up eventually around 1pm and had some lunch then did even more shopping before going to Don Quixote (tax-free, 4-floored mega store) to buy new suitcases… because of all the shopping…!

If you’re considering coming to Japan, bring a half-full suitcase because you will definitely take advantage of the incredible fashion!

I went to meet from friend from China again for dinner in Ikebukuro in a beer buffet place where you pay 2000 yen for 2 hours of whatever you want to drink and whatever you want to eat. We had a Russian Roulette Octopus Ball Dish where one of the 8 or so balls is laden with spice and you take one each at a time and eat it, hoping you don’t get the spicy one!
Luckily, I didn’t get it!


I made my way back to the hostel and re-packed my suitcases then went downstairs with Ricky to sit with some guys and hang out.

The following morning I got up around 9:30am and showered then went down to get my life in order!
We went to the metro to get the airport train to Haneda airport, checked in, spent the last of our money after we exchanged the large notes we had left (between 30-40 thousand yen each!) and made our way to our gate!

Our flight was delayed by 30 minutes so we didn’t arrive in Shanghai until 5:20pm and had to collect our bags and go to a different terminal to get our connecting flight to Beijing. We got to the check in desk at 6:15pm and our flight left at 6:50pm.

~ Airport Ninjas! ~

We got to Beijing at 9pm and got a taxi to the same hostel we stayed at 3 weeks before and had some dinner then went to bed, ready to get up and go in the morning.
We went to the foreign bookstore at Wangfujin where I spent almost £70 or more on books before getting our luggage from the hostel and went to Beijing West Train Station to get the fast train back home.

We were sat on our sofa feeling depressed by 7:30pm

I already miss Japan and want to go back!

We really didn’t spend as much money as I thought we would.
I took £2000 and came home with just under a thousand, even after buying clothes (in abundance) and splurging on fancy dinners every now and again.
If you’re sensible with your budget and pay for flights/buses in advance, Japan really isn’t that expensive.

Posted by Lady Mantle 22:59 Archived in Japan Tagged okinawa hiroshima sea_turtles a_bomb peace_memorial zamami_island Comments (0)

Japan - Tokyo continued, Kyoto and Osaka

semi-overcast 18 °C

When we got back to the hostel, I was pretty tired so didn’t stay up late, but Ricky started playing drinking games with some of the other people in our hostel so I left him to it and went to bed!
The following morning we were supposed to get up super early to go to the Fish Market and to watch Sumo wrestling practise but Ricky didn’t go to bed until 3am and when my alarm went off at 6am, I didn’t want to wake up!

I eventually got up around 11am, had a shower and sat in the common room reading my book.
When Ricky appeared, we decided to go to the Imperial Palace only to discover that you couldn’t actually go inside and there wasn’t much to see around it so we gave up and went to Shinjuku to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building observatory to get a good view of Tokyo at night.

5F1F8B80063AA0D1E1919A1A8BDE8486.jpg DSC_0008.jpg
5F1DA21DAC10A1E392496E6485985F11.jpg DSC_0004.jpg
270_DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0001.jpg
20150210_165606.jpg 20150210_173224.jpg
20150211_042946.jpg 20150211_164935.jpg
20150211_164938.jpg 20150211_164939.jpg
20150211_164942.jpg 20150211_164951.jpg
20150211_165126.jpg 20150211_173043.jpg
20150211_174331.jpg 20150211_175031.jpg
20150211_175039.jpg 20150211_175144.jpg

We grabbed a quick bite to eat from a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant, selected our meal from a small machine, paid, received a ticket, and then gave that ticket to the chef to make our food.
Katsu Chicken and rice with a huge bowl of udon noodles for about £2.


We’re savvy diners!

We came back to the hostel and chilled out for the evening as we were both pretty knackered.
Ricky went to meet a special friend for the night and for some reason, I woke up at around 4:30am and couldn’t get back to sleep so I packed up my suitcase and got dressed, and then went to the Tsujiki Fish Market but I didn’t arrive until around 8am and a lot of the stalls were closing down and all the big fish had already been cut up :(

Check out from the hostel was at 11am so we put our luggage in the hostel’s storage room and had a nap on the futons in the common area.
We went to get some more money out as we could only get 50,000 yen a day (around £280) which was annoying because my bank was charging me between £13-15 per transaction!!

We decided we were a little hungry so we walked down a few small side streets and found a restaurant full of locals so we followed suit and joined them.

20150212_153520.jpg 20150212_153525.jpg
20150212_153530.jpg 20150212_161014.jpg
20150212_161018.jpg 20150212_161020.jpg

As my father always says, if the locals eat there, it’s usually cheap and always tasty!

We went back to the hostel via a tiny kimono shop and somehow, I came out having bought one…!
However, it was only 5,000 yen and beautiful (£30).

We collected our luggage and got on the subway just after 8pm and headed to Shinjuku station to walk to the Willer Express Bus waiting area, annoyingly, nowhere near all of the other buses!
We arrived early (which is always better than late in my opinion!) but eventually got told it was time to board.
It wasn’t the best overnight bus we’ve been on but it was comfortable and I particularly enjoyed the head covers that were like a strange mix of a hairdresser-style-hairdryer and one of those slide back dome bin lids!


Either way, it blocked out the rest of the world visually, and with my music soothing me through my headphones, I was audibly detached from everyone else as well and managed a relatively good night’s sleep.

~ ~ ~ Kyoto ~ ~ ~

We arrived in Kyoto around 6:30am and had quite a trek to K’s House Hostel, but found it with the help of an old Japanese man on a bicycle who accompanied us to the main road and then told us to walk 3 streets over and continued on with his life!
So cute!

We put our luggage in storage as check-in wasn’t open until 3pm and napped on the sofas until 1pm!
We just sat and chilled in the common area until 3pm and then checked into our room.
A spacious 6 bed dorm with big soft beds – hostels might be expensive in Japan, but you get a lot for your money.

We showered and got dressed before heading out to Gion in search of Geishas.
We grabbed some dinner and through the windows we could see a few tourist/fake Geishas (without makeup) walking around.
When we went outside we found a real Geisha waiting for a car to pick her up so snapped a few pics with her before she was driven off into the night.



We walked down to Poncho To and walked down the thin passageway under hundreds of lanterns lining the street.
I felt like Chihiro in Spirited Away, expecting to see spirits walking through sliding doors; magical!

img_0884.jpg img_0885.jpg
270_5FDB57E6C4804736B7212FDEBB271B8C.jpg DSC_0017.jpg
270_5FDC6DA6E1597CD6435B377DB1672532.jpg 5FDD28B8C53D8FF05CC7BAAC72BD3BAE.jpg
270_5FDDA879CB3F6354A005D7BE370E4D9D.jpg 5FDE3773D0432B156331F411387E2734.jpg
5FDF43659BA4879FC35B61A2A9D22D03.jpg 5FDFF4DAF7556FF333F552DBEB06C35E.jpg
5FE06696E371FA940F1B3A1299010337.jpg 270_5FE7CDF5ED97D60B9B79D768568F2B7B.jpg
270_5FE9291A92CFC74419F1881C374014C9.jpg 270_5FEA2628E24C17233EFD6E1C0A5915AB.jpg
5FEBA202F529EC834B7264557BC62546.jpg 270_5FEC82B6DEBFFD47F1056965722B075E.jpg
270_5FED66CFA4C5F8923900E4BF7FB96A7B.jpg 5FEE33F0BCFADE7E2C4063617D76B171.jpg
5FEEC1A6A37D8A3D0206BC998C9F7D09.jpg 270_5FEF8D21DF8DA0F2AEA81935A5CD11C6.jpg
5FF03619C5EA67A3229A64FC84BBA234.jpg 5FF11942DE41975D2E1B10BE4DFC1AFF.jpg
270_5FF1D92DFE65852EB963909F60DB42CE.jpg 5FF28770F1FC85FCC5F4B2159CE66A0B.jpg
5FF35F2DDD96595A5F5B9B7ED48E9C3F.jpg 5FF45E7DB8A5A3B8FF865403AAA2A3D4.jpg
5FF54724ADACD678A2475CE6741E7A8C.jpg 270_5FF62500FDBF6551C448DCCB695D8858.jpg
DSC_0045.jpg 5FF7FEC8B14DE2E2DBE8B41D306739DF.jpg

It had been snowing for a while and with the wind picking up it was bitterly cold so we headed back to the hostel to relax in the warmth!
The next day we took advantage of the hostel breakfast buffet before getting the metro to Fushimi-Inari Shrine and walking up Mount Inari – There are hundreds of archways next to each other which form these amazing tunnels, broken up by shrine plateaux every so often.

601B2B01FB64239633ABAD820121909D.jpg 601C1E7BC68E3FC940933E671DC63A88.jpg
DSC_0050.jpg 270_601DC4AC979D01E39B7C21C13BA50956.jpg
270_601E7482B5559707E9D1BDAFE68224BE.jpg 270_DSC_0053.jpg
270_DSC_0054.jpg 6021266FA869E8957C3CF9E6245D910B.jpg
60221E7EFCC53E65C6279F4ADB683948.jpg 6023D924016187BC669E61B3C3A940E1.jpg
270_602B0B8295156EC558EC72B64889B9E1.jpg 270_DSC_0059.jpg
DSC_0060.jpg 602D6644D3FF18AA91D186E72C32BA66.jpg
602E5641A7DC778E344A0D8680DF079B.jpg 270_602F24CFC519F6697F9CC298AB5D79D6.jpg
60305EA7B76F823BE248FB9DF14CAC30.jpg 60320B83BD1714C3BAAADE4154AD9336.jpg
270_60337162D3643CDB4D5A6183E965E2EF.jpg 270_603498CF0AED76DD301E27B215E12E9D.jpg
270_603572D4A77B0A744483B77E1384134B.jpg 270_60365CC3F47549CCD1576343EECCB914.jpg
270_605FC6B8D9F67D60ED366B05B97B5436.jpg DSC_0071.jpg
270_6062CCB9F09EAE6CE99BEEBFAA040695.jpg 270_606399B1EB998966519448BF307182B9.jpg
6064DEC90F1C1D1608F447F868368A72.jpg 270_DSC_0075.jpg
6067E778CF2D3BB0D6765F6D53BCC635.jpg 6068FB63A2A9FADB4DAE172ED6EAE098.jpg
6069FBC5FB11AADC1AB5CD2C6735426A.jpg 270_606AF4860FD1B217C35C9D062F33D5D9.jpg
270_606BF8FFF6D7204A749206AC00B2BEBD.jpg 270_606CF478E76F0B4B00B98D35DFFC7EE6.jpg
606DDB0704B0B915994A311BB72E856E.jpg DSC_0083.jpg
606FD848EBAD349C07316E1629A14420.jpg DSC_0085.jpg
6071A0E7FBB5556D44AA1071C7EDAFDF.jpg 6072979C0174ACD6384B4FA7428BB6B0.jpg
270_6085973EF605F68F93F9DB7272FF594A.jpg DSC_0089.jpg
270_DSC_0090.jpg DSC_0091.jpg
DSC_0092.jpg 608C7CE2CF1D60FF54950630D19BF246.jpg
DSC_0094.jpg DSC_0095.jpg
608EE599C47DA05FB68E1F76BFC521B9.jpg 609052A3E013AE5CC9ADD67DD08487A2.jpg
270_DSC_0098.jpg DSC_0099.jpg
609333EBBB508522964BDC1711DC2FA5.jpg 270_609411BFA3E350F82D38247EB6D55764.jpg
270_609512E30814F3F9BA073201B6FF8A47.jpg 6096177AFC51E3D4CCA979FD5F9BDF53.jpg
6096CE7DFE51DC8D4D990D3568FC5A4E.jpg 6097AC63A997C421AEC3A555C470A47A.jpg
DSC_0106.jpg 270_60D3738EEB1A0DF9B706866F0AA08971.jpg
270_60D41A8904020F6950D8B8232000DB10.jpg 60D4DAE2FEB20F335E77F0BB37CF5F0A.jpg
60D57622C1BBF1B48BC49B63351F5C38.jpg DSC_0111.jpg
DSC_0112.jpg DSC_0113.jpg
270_DSC_0114.jpg 60D9F530BCB175C473C05F9C3B954577.jpg
60DABD13BDBDC466A3769C5C0F3DCA09.jpg 20150213_190544.jpg
20150214_124841.jpg 20150214_125901.jpg
20150214_130500.jpg 20150214_130507.jpg
20150214_142750.jpg 20150214_143029.jpg
2015-02-14_14_46_44.jpg 1423891214371.jpg
1423887786184.jpg 1423887582073.jpg
1423887531984.jpg 1423887362136.jpg

Toward the top of the mountain was a bit of a struggle for an unfit, overweight woman like myself as there were lots of steps but not as bad as the mountain in Thailand! I gave up and began my decent as Ricky continued to the top – only to tell me when we eventually met each other again at the bottom that I was one staircase away from the top when I gave up! Perseverance was never my strong suit…!

We walked to the train station afterwards and bought our train tickets to Osaka (560 yen each) for Tuesday then went back to the hostel for a well-deserved nap!
Ricky wanted to go to some bars so he went out, but I stayed in the hostel as I had a bit of a headache.

The next day we went to a flea market held on Sundays at the Chion-ji Temple but by the time the bus got us there, some of the stalls were closing up for the day.
It wasn’t so much a flea market, but rather a boutique, handicrafts, not-so-cheap market so if you want to go and check out the things for sale (which are very nice) be prepared to pay more than average for them! I bought some cute earrings and Ricky bought some pieces he liked then we went to one of the only open restaurants at the time and had curry to fill our bellies.
Be aware wherever you are in Japan, there are appropriate times to locate and eat food, trying to find Japanese places to eat at random times like between 2-5pm is nearly impossible. If the Japanese don’t eat at that time, neither do you!


Monday reared its beautiful head, so we got up, had breakfast in the hostel again, and then went to the train station to buy 2 tickets to Saga Arashiyama (240 yen each).

When we arrived, we went to the bamboo forest and Tenryu-ji temple, plus a lovely stroll through Okochi Denjiro’s Zen garden (an actor in samurai movies) before heading to Fufu No Yu onsen (hot springs) across the Togetsu-kyo Bridge, only to be told that we couldn’t go in because of our tattoos and the links to the Yakusa (Japanese Mafia)!

61330CCBA533B9AFB061063DCA76661B.jpg 6134F04CFFA091888C8108BF08BF3FEB.jpg
DSC_0119.jpg 61368D9CC15C501DB0F9FA330378E17A.jpg
DSC_0121.jpg 270_61397EFD0F519B2A75C24929C5D3236E.jpg
613ADAA6B993218994D9F6145DD52865.jpg 613C9760A39B5B3FD074939D85C2E03A.jpg
613DACBE988BD5E2AE47E01B7182C2FC.jpg 613F1CFA0726FBCE5B38818622EF6468.jpg
6140872BFC43979E80C4E9386604A461.jpg 6141C5DCC0FD5AC10AB58E706332658B.jpg
6142B4750D4F35910C303C896EBD7010.jpg 270_61587DB9C2FA69CB7AA448C0C1EE1F93.jpg
6159A0FB92B8E9EC780420BB2CA5CBB4.jpg 615AFEFADA7BCF550F635A9552D3037C.jpg
270_615CA6FCECBDC527ECDF5972406376DE.jpg 615E06F09F1FCE82301C49B4BD2D429D.jpg
270_615EFDF10732F96549B2448F04F66625.jpg 270_615FECBFB31B6F27C68803CF867BF800.jpg
6160C084DA12A971AC9F66BCACB7950E.jpg 61623772CDADBD29D78BD1C13D50CE58.jpg
270_6163ADF0D36B6F60811962BBAD72D1C4.jpg 61655D68A29AAE8B2735523F5B4786DE.jpg
61667E370347A3D54D8A9F3DA712E145.jpg 6167649FBEE03C90CE78F552AFF4ACE3.jpg
61684E42C3D6D1DB520A4BC7FFA88B53.jpg 6169A2E39F505AF47B87EF52854C51D7.jpg
616D75B1A28AD32D1FE1DE3D52B9C88F.jpg 616E52C5FF57A1DFACDABE32E4E0B13C.jpg
616FB2DF0655328B405BF20B4C7C74C9.jpg 270_61A584B9F025956342A136FC05E517F4.jpg
61A73F34C65A745087FCD65076993E66.jpg 61A8825BCD66B070F5B882693108CF8D.jpg
61A9A0B5AC78E9710195C79B3EFA08E0.jpg 61AB00DA0325195845E08C290346C416.jpg
270_61AC8121038D5B7FD05BBB6041C871AC.jpg 61ADA028D1C509BDB7561737B197CD04.jpg
61AEDFC8F5D9C3E0671DB610DCAD9D2D.jpg 61AFCA449119FF689C9AC9BBA9449C52.jpg
270_61B0FB5CC5A313A8AC2B7805C9BE8795.jpg 61B1D568A3E1E0C7F7ED354201163498.jpg
61B2FF71AE383704568952385540E489.jpg 270_61B459B2FAFD061F763432BDD1520220.jpg
270_61B56C55DA5F2962F5A9D788D68D7700.jpg 61B685B89AD9755CF3E66856CB5A057D.jpg
270_61B78378FA6F03EDC379FD119B102091.jpg 61D395E9A5EACC5CA7321024B6600067.jpg
61D47499D6DE257C6A5F187847942D38.jpg 270_61D586EBB647F2641350BA69A0E0778D.jpg
61D71EA10FDCD9E8A954A283BAC06926.jpg 61D8550D0F27B97B13C3F819BC8F4FFD.jpg
61DA2DB109AB02E17E034A83591B6A6A.jpg 61DB5337CD49B2A805F24AA58BB188A3.jpg
61DC9112E6D50186AF50BD324CD6D40D.jpg 61EB324AC82A9CACF3CD569383AC42A3.jpg
61ECFAE7BA6948194120A028155E8EEE.jpg DSC_0174.jpg
DSC_0175.jpg DSC_0176.jpg
270_DSC_0177.jpg 61F36C9705E8561E9594123557483B1F.jpg
61F46E6D06398AB8BE705B1A18925982.jpg 61F53E61A375DB6D32C023216913D8DC.jpg
61F63A40B2E269AF56EA0E5C36C49EF4.jpg 61F750C5B8CF3922FE046D7760207CD1.jpg

We sombrely made our way back to the train station but decided to top in the adorable café, Coffee Shop Hirose, with an old man so lovely I wanted to adopt him and call him Grandpa! His place was tiny, I felt like an Amazonian woman when we walked in and sat amongst the locals.
He had an old telephone which I adored and teeny tiny dream jugs for peoples’ coffee. I could have sat and watched him pottering away for hours.


If I ever move to Japan, I want that to be my local café; ADORABLE!

Kyoto is so relaxed that I felt like we barely did anything. People in Japan are so lovely and polite and are eager to help us bewildered foreigners with nothing more than a thank you in return!

~ ~ ~ Osaka ~ ~ ~

The next day, we packed up our stuff, had breakfast once more, and then made our way to the train station to head south to Osaka.
28 minutes later we arrived, got on the local loop line train and walked the short distance to our accommodation – not quite what I expected but we’ve stayed in worse! The beds were comfortable and the room was big enough to open our suitcase, what more do you need!?

Ricky wanted to go on the Tempozan Ferris Wheel and I wanted to go to the aquarium (naturally) so we took the subway to Osakako station, had a very late lunch then went our separate ways.
As I sat staring into the Pacific Ocean tank, admiring the graceful flight of the resident Whale shark, I was suddenly awash with sadness; these beautiful creatures made me want to go diving I the oceans every day, but these animals in particular will never experience the open ocean waters again.

626B52D4075B372A91689942B5BAC0E9.jpg 626C0D0BBD1C3AF7827CB3F3CAB16E67.jpg
626D094ECA8849A7700FE335DFA4BD56.jpg DSC_0251.jpg
626EEABCA1C1F1281AC6F9AEC690B4C4.jpg 626FC91FF9CF68CE2B0935D5C6383B24.jpg
6270B0DDEB8D2B43FE1E74805813043A.jpg 6271D979F41EDE1F2EEC6D1A635E3C08.jpg
270_62730B1293D154B65DF200434E7AA080.jpg DSC_0370.jpg
DSC_0386.jpg 62753C5997E52D5D6234543B99B2FF48.jpg
62761661BFBF9413E0D3263B79122A7F.jpg 6276D523FEBA90F24B883612F20FFDBA.jpg
DSC_0452.jpg 627848720C8A0C887C30081690ED4A5A.jpg
DSC_0516.jpg 6279C0E9F2BBF87D9D4DE62FD27C5C3D.jpg

I left shortly after that, feeling like the power aquariums held over me had somewhat diminished and took the subway back to our hotel.
Ricky returned just after me, had a nap, and then went out on the town but an upset stomach prevented me from going farther than the bathroom and back but I didn’t mind, as I soon got lost in one of the many books I brought with me!

The following day, we woke up late and went to Osaka Castle which didn’t look like a European Castle, but more like an Asian Pagoda or shrine. It was inclement weather so we didn’t stay long and walked through the decorative gardens to the metro station.

270_DSC_0526.jpg 270_62923141B276171CE3EDC0FEBB339C45.jpg
6292F90D9EE130383F25B94B93ABB4F9.jpg 6293CF62F2EDB21E5232FB29BFC80886.jpg
270_6294AF52A47390990AE0C6DEF5C1C3EE.jpg 62954A30EC20200B6A73162950717113.jpg 1424240620191.jpg

We stopped at Mos Burger, a supposed must-have of cuisine in Japan.
We were not impressed…!


Expensive and not very tasty or nourishing.

We went back to the hostel for a nap and a shower before heading out to Shinsaibashi and the shopping district.

20150218_214922.jpg 20150218_220311.jpg
20150218_220325.jpg 20150218_220354.jpg
20150218_221858.jpg 20150218_221910.jpg
20150219_112919.jpg 20150219_120802.jpg
20150219_123900.jpg 20150219_124030.jpg

We took in all the lights and the interesting people watching, then sat in Starbucks admiring to deaf guys conversing.
I find sign-language so fascinating and love watching people speak to each other that way.

Apparently, Osaka is better at the weekends and the general consensus appeared to be staying in Osaka and just doing day trips to Nara and Kyoto which are both more peaceful areas.

The next day we’d run out of things we desperately wanted to see so we went to the Sky Tower and took some photos. We both bought heart-shaped padlocks and had our names and the date engraved on them so we could lock them on the available railings on the roof terrace forever.

20150219_134238.jpg 20150219_135110.jpg
20150219_135119.jpg 20150219_135127.jpg
20150219_135203.jpg 20150219_135206.jpg
20150219_135234.jpg 20150219_135253.jpg
20150219_135257.jpg 20150219_135551.jpg
20150219_140032.jpg 20150219_141104.jpg
20150219_141145.jpg 20150219_141612.jpg
20150219_141617.jpg 20150219_141651.jpg
1424320984506_.jpg 1424237401676_.jpg
IMG_20150219_1g.png IMG_20150219_1.png

I love the padlock craze, I think it’s a fantastic way to leave a part of you in the places you’ve visited without damaging property by carving your name into walls! (Sorry, Great Wall of China…!)

We went to find some food in the west tower and then saw there was a cinema so we decided to waste some time by watching not one, but two films (‘Begin Again’ with Keira Knightly, and ‘Love, Rosie’ with Lily Collins) as we couldn’t decide which one we wanted to watch. Both were very enjoyable and not so much of a waste of time after all!

We made the journey back to our hostel around 9pm, grabbed a quick bite, I reinforced the straps on my backpack with my trusty sewing kit then we went back to the Sky Tower as that was where our bus to Hiroshima left from!
We were both disappointed with this bus as the seats were smaller than the first bus we’d taken and the heating was unbearable – I barely slept and had to get off the bus every time it stopped just to bring my body temperature back down!


Posted by Lady Mantle 00:20 Archived in Japan Tagged tokyo kyoto osaka Comments (1)

Japan - Tokyo

sunny 20 °C

I discovered, when booking our flights to Narita airport in Tokyo that it would be easier, quicker and a lot less hassle it we departed from Beijing rather than the airport closest to us.
So we sped along the track on the high-speed train to Beijing West from Xinxiang East train station, checked into our hostel for the night and had a beer... or two!

We stayed at the Dragon King Hostel in the Dongcheng district and would highly recommend it, as not only is it close to a subway station, but the staff are exceptional and the atmosphere is both friendly and homely.
We checked out in the morning, wolfed down an 'American Breakfast' and walked the 200m or so to the subway.
A few stops later and a 25 yuan Airport Express ticket and we were on our way to Beijing Terminal 2.

We checked in for our flight, went through passport control where Ricky's portable charger was taken from him and I was felt up by airport security so much that I thought it only fair to be bough dinner, or at least a drink by the offer 'searching' me, given her closeness and forceful caress of my inside thigh!

The beginning of a soft porno aside, we went to our gate, only to discover there wasn't so much as a vending machine, let alone a smoking room, so proceeded to take out our books (one each of many) and passed the time by engrossing ourselves in our respective good books.
We boarded our flight an hour after it was due to depart (oh China...!) apparently destined for Shanghai, as a 'technical stop' to arrive at Shanghai airport, disembark, go through the 'exit-to-international-flights' border control and left to figure out where to go next.
This in itself was such an ordeal that a cigarette was desperately required and dutifully achieved by half walking/half jogging through the airport to a smoking room, inhaling pretty much the whole cigarette in one drag and then scrambled back to gate 16 tore-board the plane we'd just got off!
3 hours later, another bag of peanuts and an odd combination of pork curry and sushi later, and we arrived in Tokyo, but not before sitting on the tarmac in Shanghai for 45 minutes and flying over Tokyo for an extra 15 minutes before landing because of the 'danger bok' or something to that effect, as outlined by our inaudible flight attendant.

Now, I was somewhat aware that the trains in Tokyo stopped around midnight and as we were then 2 hours late to Narita, we were pushed for time to get money out and figure out which train to get.
This farce wasn't helped by my bank capping the amount I could withdraw each day, confusing me and putting added pressure on out time schedule.
Eventually, I realised there was a cap, got out what I could and we made our way down the escalator to the trains.

We were walking towards the ticket machine to purchase our tickets but were greeted by several members of staff screaming "GO! GO! GO! The last train of the night is almost here! Buy your tickets on the train" GO! GO! GO!"
We heeded this advice, practically threw our luggage down another set of escalators, launched the through the open doors of the train, and sat down just as the doors were closing.
Now, having never been to Japan before, trying to navigate a subway system with a thousand stations and not even knowing which line you're travelling on presents obvious problems.
The instructions from the hostel would have made perfect sense, had we been on the train they'd advised, however, we were not, we were heading in the wrong direction, not knowing how to rectify the situation but knowing that if we got off the train, we'd be sleeping outside.
Ricky decided that he wanted to get off, but with my last ounce of sanity, I asked the only foreigner in our car, who happened to be sat only a seat away, if he could help us.
We told him were we wanted to go and after subtly correcting our pronunciation, said the train would get us there or at least pretty close which was calming.

70 minutes later, we got off at the station 5 stops away from Asakusa before the train went in a different direction and made our way to the exit.
Now, during that 70 minute journey, not one person came to sell us a ticket so when we were faced with the arduous task of leaving the train station and in our delirious travel-raped fatigue, the only viable option we could think of was to tail-gate someone through the exit gate, hauling our luggage through the closing barricades and making a run for it.


After successfully evading any immediate castigation and enjoying a victory cigarette, we got in a taxi for the last leg of our ridiculous journey and checked into out hostel for the night just in time!
We stayed at Tokyo Original Hostel and were glad to leave in the morning for the hostel we'd booked for the next 3 nights as our room was so small we could barely get our suitcases in... upright!
The only plus side was that the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and they gave us a thank you note and origami Pikachu they'd made themselves when we left in the morning!

We walked around the corner and up the road to our longer stay hostel, Khaosan Kabuki and were much more impressed with out surroundings.
We were upgraded to a swanky private suite at no extra cost for a reason I'm still unsure of and concluded that for the rest of our trip we would pretend we were a soon-to-be-married couple travelling before the wedding to hopefully get more free-upgrades... when in Rome, so to speak!


Before we came to Japan, I'd booked tickets to the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka, a short train journey away, to see the collection of Ghibli paraphernalia, and today was the day I needed to go.
I asked at the hostel reception how to get to Mitaka and the lovely receptionist gave me a pre-printed slip with directions to the museum and I got ready to go.
Ricky didn't want to come so ventured around on his own whilst I went to the subway station.
I enjoy travelling with someone who doesn't need constant molly-coddling and can just do their own thing; it means that both parties get the most out of their trip without anyone feeling left out.

I went down to the Ginza line, paid the 170 yen to get to Kanda station and got on the train.
The subway ticket machines are off because rather than selecting a station, you select the amount of yen it'll cost to get there, according to the map overhead on the wall.
I arrived at Kanda and had to get a new ticket for the JR Chuo line but the map was only in Japanese so I had to guess the value and get on the train.
25 minutes later, I arrived at Mitake station and went to the south exit as instructed by my print out.
When I put my tiny rectangular ticket in the exit gate, it advised me my fare needed to be adjusted so I went to the machine a stone’s throw away and it told me the difference that I needed to pay; very useful, and civilised!

As I walked out of the south exit, I immediately saw a sign for the Ghibli Museum which confirmed the route I'd already commuted to memory and happily began the 10-15 minute ramble to the second small bridge over the narrow river that accompanied me down the road.


I took a right turn and then after a little more walking, I saw the sign on my left.


I exchanged my paper ticket for my real ticket, a real film piece from one of my favourite Ghibli films (Howl's Moving Castle) and went inside.


Annoyingly, but also understandably, you're forbidden from taking pictures inside the museum, only outside, which was still beautiful and equally magical.

1423456559840.jpg 1423455873094.jpg
1423455800840.jpg 20150209_133701.jpg20150209_132620.jpg 20150209_132524.jpg20150209_132514.jpg 20150209_132508.jpg20150209_132502.jpg 20150209_132446.jpg

Inside was beautiful, wooden floors and staircases with random little doors and cast iron bannisters - I felt like I was in a Ghibli movie!
I looked at all the artwork displays, the extensive heaps of books and sketches plastered across the walls and the beautifully specific way the desk was arranged to suggest Miyazaki had only just stepped away for a moment.
I obviously bought some souvenirs from the gift shop before traversing the iron staircase to the giant metal guardian from Castle in the Sky on the roof of the museum.

90_20150209_133819.jpg 90_20150209_132952.jpg 1423456258290.jpg 1423456459286.jpg 1423456595174_.jpg

I didn't stay for long and was back on the train to Asakusa before I knew it.
I particularly enjoyed the 'real' Catbus from My Neighbour Totoro full of 'real' dust mites from Howl's Moving Castle that the children could play on.
You can see pictures inside the museum on their website: http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/

I walked back along the river to the station, had a cigarette in the designated smoking area (you are not allowed to walk on the street smoking!) then got back on the train to Asakusa via Kanda station and met Ricky.


We went to Starbucks for a drink then went to Freshness Burger for dinner before walking around looking for Byron Bay Café which Ricky had found earlier in the day for a Baileys and Chocolate Milk, then went back to the hostel where I wrote this and Ricky played Bomberman on the Nintendo until 3am!


I think I use hostels incorrectly, given that I much prefer the common areas when there’s no one else in them…!

We woke up around 10am and headed out to Harajuku; the Fashion District.
I’ve never seen so many beautiful, ordinary (as in, not famous!) people in amazing clothes before!
Ricky and I bought several items and for the first time ever in our time together, I spent more money on clothes than him!
Beautiful clothes!
We walked around for a while, following cool people to see where they were going, looking into kitsch little shops to see what they were selling, and genuinely just loving our environment.

20150210_153718.jpg 20150210_151909.jpg
20150210_151747.jpg 20150210_151451.jpg
20150210_151352.jpg 20150210_141013.jpg

Posted by Lady Mantle 04:18 Archived in Japan Tagged tokyo fashion smoking harajuku delays spring_festival khason_kabuki ghibli_museum chinese_airlines dust_mites mitaka tokyo_metro Comments (2)

(Entries 1 - 3 of 3) Page [1]